Sunday, July 04, 2004

A hearty welcome, the meaning of "Quo Vadis?" and a bit about myself...

Welcome to "Quo vadis?" or "Where are you going?" What a simple yet important question to ask, one in which the answers might be as straightforward as "Up the hill" or as deep and mysterious as the very meaning of existence. Join me then as I muse (and blog) upon the countless questions of life, big and small, serious and lighthearted. After all, as G.K. Chesterton once said, "The only thing that matters is everything." Thus, you can expect the content here to possibly be quite diverse.

Let me also say from outset that I am no blogging professional. I do this primarily for my friends and for personal growth. At the same time, I'll do my best to make the blog a place of quality information and fruitful dialogue for strangers as well.

Now, to give you an idea of who I am, born and raised in northwest Ohio, presently I'm a 23 year old grad student working on an MA in Philosophy at the Franciscan University in Steubenville, OH. I'm also one of the billions of people in the world trying to figure out where I'm going in life.

Almost 3 years ago though, I entered into the Catholic Church. Since then especially, while I continue to look to a multiplicity of views on various questions, I cannot deny the fact that the Catholic Christian spirit has had the strongest influence upon my outlook and perspective of things. This "spirit" however, is amazingly diverse, much to the chagrin of those who prefer nicely-packaged boxes of thought.

I say all of this though, in order simply to caution against any temptation to try and place my "worldview" (if you can call it that) into one particular philosophical or political camp. I especially dread the thought of being labelled a Republican or Democrat, Neo-Con or Liberal, for I truly despise that dreadfully naïve binary way of thinking. Yes, you ought to consider my thoughts in light of the various groups/traditions which may influence them, but please also strive to take them for what they are in and of themselves. The same goes for others commenting on the blog (unless they themselves really want to be seen as in one camp or another). Hopefully, this will help in keeping discussion fruitful and charitable.

That being said, enjoy what goes on here. And if you ever have any idea of your own, or even want to be a guest-blogger, be sure to drop a comment and let me know. Thanks for stopping by and I look forward to hearing from you!

1 Comments:

At 9/03/2006 06:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Question , well answered. You write very well. Thank you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home