Monday, June 26, 2006

St. Paul, MN and back again...



My friend Eric and I ran into some incredible T-storms just past Chicago last weekend, coming back from the 25th annual Chesterton conference in St. Paul, MN. As you can see, it was quite a spectacle as we approached the majestic clouds, warmly illuminated by the setting sun behind us. Unfortunately, we didn't get any real clear pictures of what at times may very well have been the largest and most vivid rainbow I've ever seen in my life. I won't forget it myself though.



In this newest photo album then, you can find more of those pictures, as well as some shots of the impressive and inspiring Cathedral of Saint Paul. We attended Mass there on Sunday morning before beginning the long and grueling drive home (12 hours baby!).



p.s. The conference itself was excellent -- plenty of laughs, wine, beer, stories, talks, poetry (especially Clerihews!), intellectual ponderings, entertainment, and cheap used book sales -- though I probably won't be saying much more about it on the blog here.

[Note: The lightning picture on the side bar is not mine. In fact, since I began this blog, none of those side bar pictures have been mine. I apologize for not being able to give credit to whomever it is due.]

2 Comments:

At 6/29/2006 08:37:00 AM, Blogger steven said...

did you meet any chicks at the chesterton conference?

 
At 6/29/2006 05:28:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

LOL.

Actually, there were a number of nice looking girls about my age. Moreover, I briefly talked to some of them, and they really seemed normal too (by my standards, at least, whatever those are). So, like my own self as an example (wink wink), here you have more proof that you can be both cool and a fan of Chesterton.

The overall women to men ratio was probably slightly tipped towards the men, but not by much (and don't put too much weight on this guestimation of mine).

Speaking of G.K. though, I will add that I'm mostly only interested in his fiction these days. I honestly hadn't read him in over a year, but in light of the conference I decided to read a couple of books in the last few weeks. The first, a biography of St. Thomas Aquinas, was alright, but nothing great. The second however, called Manalive was one of the better pieces of fiction I've read or listened to in quite a while (and you know I listen to a lot!). It's incredibly witty and humorous, and fairly short too! I highly recommend it as an introduction to Chesterton's style.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home